Sunday, February 24, 2019

Let's talk about genre


If you look back to my previous posts from November and December you will be able to see that I have done some research on genre. I looked at the Drama genre and the Horror genre. From each genre I reported about the genre conventions, production techniques, post production techniques and marketing. Through these research assignments I have been enlightened to what really makes up these genres and if I would be interested in creating a film opening for them. 

In regards to the drama genre… I love it. From Romantic Drama to Dramedy, it is simply one of my favorite genres to watch. I like how the main protagonist is mostly able to create an emotional connection with the audience. As I am a female, i also fit into their target audience, which would be helpful if I were to choose this genre for my film. It is also beneficial that Dramas take place in natural everyday setting as it could be filmed anywhere. The Drama genre is definitely on the top of my list for genre choices for the film opening.

Horror, Horror, Horror. Oh how I have a love hate relationship with your genre! To me the Horror genre is fascinating. Actually, of the most memorable films I’ve watched entitled, The Quiet Place directed by John Krasinsk, is within this genre. There is so much thought that must go into creating a horror film such as: Will your monster be human or supernatural or how will one execute a realistic killing scene. As interesting as the genre maybe, I believe it will be quite challenging to execute the horror genre in only 2 minutes, as in most opening of Horror films start of pretty normal. One challenge would be how to create a realistic looking monster, as our special effects makeup skills are sub par. We need to be realistic in what we can execute the most effectively and unfortunately, I believe that Horror is not the one. 

I wanted to continue exploring my options, so I decided to look into the Thriller genre. The Thriller genre is meant to keep the audience on the edge of their seat, as it revolves around the creation of suspense or anxiety. The story line is often realistic, which make the audience even more frightened because it can happen to them. Thrillers have a protagonist that is faced with a problem that is orchestrated by the antagonist. The antagonist is often hidden and slowly introduced to the audience. In this genre, They show the protagonist is a lot of close up shots, in order to show the emotion they are feeling. While the antagonist in order to continue to hide their identity, is shot with quick shots and indirect shots.Thrillers conventions also consists of low key lighting, quick cuts, shadows, and jump cuts. Music in thrillers is very important to give the scene the suspense necessary. The sound usually starts from slow and it speeds up. The antagonist is often found in darker colors while the protagonist is found in everyday wear.

Some examples of thrillers (click on picture for trailer!):


  • Kidnap (2017)

  • Bird Box(2018)


  • The Purge (2013) 



In my opinion a thriller would be a great option as a genre for our film opening. It derives a little bit from the horror genre which I love, yet the antagonist is more realistic which is easier to execute. I plan on discussing my research with my partner Sofia the next class period I see her. It is essential to decide on a genre as soon as possible to move forward in our project and stay on schedule. Fingers crossed for Thriller! Lets see what she has to say… Stay tuned!


Citations:

https://www.slideshare.net/JasonsA2Media/codes-and-conventions-of-the-thriller-genre

No comments:

Post a Comment