Thursday, February 28, 2019

Ladies and Gentlemen, we got a genre!


I guess you guys kept your fingers crossed! The genre we chose for our film opening is…drum roll please… THRILLER! 

Last class Sofi and I sat down and discussed different types of genres. We went through all the genres we did research on due to the previous assignments. We spoke about how doing the horror genre would be difficult to do justice to. How doing the drama genre could end up being too cliche. Finally, how action was just not our type of genre. We wanted to find a genre that excites us. That is when I introduced my secret weapon...the thriller genre! Once I explained my reasoning behind my love for this genre (Which I explained on my last post) Sofi got on board! Now our job was to research the different sub genres in thrillers. 

Example of  Religious Thriller
(Click for trailer)


One sub genre I researched was religious thriller. The genre often includes details such as ceremonies, objects pertaining to the religion, and themes. It is often seen to have a supernatural being or experience which include exorcisms,possession and religious cover ups. I was a little bit freaked out by this genre. The only type of movie I’m scared of include demons, so i have decided against this sub genre.




 Example of  Psych Thriller
(Click for trailer)

Another sub genre I researched was psychological thrillers. This genre includes some aspects of drama, as well as mystery. The [purpose of these films are to present a mental menace (aka psychological), instead of a physical one. Rather than using physical skills to defeat the antagonist the Protagonist in the film is setup to use his mental acuity to resolve the issue. Throughout high school my favorite subject I have studied thus far has been psychology, I loved it so much that I took college level psychology two years in a row! This sub genre truly intrigues me however, the genre may be difficult to develop within our limited time of only 2 minutes. 




Last but not least, I researched the sub genre of crime thrillers. The plot of these films often revolves around a serial killer, a manhunt, an abduction, or a robbery. The genre is made up of a crime plot that includes the suspense of a thriller. It is also observed to uses both psychological and action to create the suspense that is expected from a thriller. The film often focuses both the the protagonist and the antagonist, unlike the typical crime genres. Out of all of the sub genres I research this one is by far my favorite. This genre mixes psychology, suspense, and serial killers/ criminals… How much more interesting can a film get ? I believe this would be an interesting genre to create.There is a world of possibilities when creating the story line as one has so much to work with!

Example of  Crime Thriller
(Click for trailer)
Example of  Crime Thriller
(Click for trailer)



By the end of class after taking the research into consideration we decide to go with the sub genre of crime thriller. We are so excited to begin developing our story line! Keep a lookout for my next post if you want to find out our story line...Stay tuned !







Citations:
https://thescriptlab.com/screenplay/genre/986-thriller/

No comments:

Post a Comment